“Skullgirls is a 2D Fighting RPG packed with unique, colorful characters to collect, upgrade, and customize as you search for the mysterious SKULLGIRL!
STUNNING 2D ANIMATION
Thousands of frames of carefully hand-drawn 2D animation delivers one of the most visually polished games you’ll play on mobile!
A FIGHTING GAME FOR EVERYONE
– Custom controls designed specifically for mobile allow you to effortlessly execute a wide variety of amazing moves and combos with a single tap or swipe.
– New Fighting Game player? Use Fight Assist and focus ONLY on strategic decisions.
– Experienced Fighting Game player? Discover deep tactical choices, unique combos, juggles, and more!
– Finally, a Fighting Game for everyone!
FULL RPG PROGRESSION
– RPG players will feel right at home!
– Collect dozens of Characters that can each be customized in a variety of ways to suit your playstyle!
– Level Up and Evolve your Fighters to maximize their potential
– Unlock Special Moves and Blockbusters that can be upgraded and equipped before each battle – pick the perfect loadout!
– Build teams of up to 3 Fighters – find the best combination to maximize synergies!
– Explore an ever-growing collection of characters”
Company: Autumn Games
Offers in-app Purchases
“Every seven years a powerful artifact arises, capable of granting a woman’s wishes. However, should she be impure of heart, she will be corrupted and transformed into a twisted being of destruction. New meridian sleeps restlessly, it has been seven years since the last Skullgirl ravaged the world. When will the next one awaken?”
Play as Peacock and fight against other Skullgirls with a large array of special attacks, dodges and other cool features.
I was very impressed with how the graphics looked as they didn’t look much different to how I remembered them to look on the PlayStation. Skullgirls mimics the classic fighter games of the 90’s – adding a nostalgic feel to the game. Autumn Games have done a really good job in making sure they provide console-quality squished into a mobile device and I dig it. The characters move perfectly, with mind-blowing special moves and vibrant outfits. I really enjoyed the game visually.
Music & Sounds
The music and sounds are similar, if not the exact same as Skullgirls: 2nd Encore. The music is very black and white film-esque if that makes any sense at all. It definitely all adds to the overall gameplay and again, it’s very similar to the console games.
The controls are where it gets complicated. There is a lot to remember. Honestly, I forgot what they were most of the time and I was just frantically tapping.
- tap to attack
- tap quickly to combo
- swipe right to do a dash attack
- swipe right twice to do a knockback attack
- hold two fingers to block
- tap or swipe to counter-attack
- swipe with two fingers to throw
- tap the icon to use your blockbuster attack
As you can see from that extensive list of controls, you need to make a mental note to even remember three of these. The only ones I could actually remember was attack and block. Apart from that, I was pretty screwed when it came to fighting.
The Power of in-app Purchases
There’s a lot you can purchase from the store, and it has come to my attention that it isn’t very good value for money. A lot of the packs are extremely expensive along with the diamonds not being worth much at all. Most app games have a £0.99 option but Skullgirls doesn’t – it’s strange to me!
- Teacher’s Pet Pack for £99.99
- Back to School Pack for £19.99
- Rift Raider Offer for 1,000 diamonds
- Starter Pack for £4.99
- Fighter Variety Pack for £19.99
- Jackpot Pack for £48.99
- Gold Mine Pack for 1,000 diamonds
- Movin on Up-Grade pack for £48.99
- Double XP Boost for 300 diamonds
- Gold Catalyst Cache for 1,000 diamonds
- Big Band Moves Pack for 500 diamonds
- 16,000 gold for 40 diamonds
- 60,000 gold for 120 diamonds
- 208,000 gold for 280 diamonds
- 640,000 gold for 640 diamonds
- 1,840,000 gold for 1,600 diamonds
- 250 diamonds for £4.99
- 525 diamonds for £9.99
- 1,110 diamonds for £19.99
- 3,150 diamonds for £48.99
- 7,200 diamonds for £99.99
Skullgirls is definitely different from any other fighting game we’ve played on The Casual App Gamer before – definitely in a good way! The characters are beautifully designed, there are loads of controls to keep you on your toes, not to mention the riveting gameplay! If you miss 90’s fighting games, this definitely needs to be added to your casual gaming library.
If you decide to download Skullgirls, let us know what you think and if you agree or disagree with any of the things we said. Happy gaming and stay casual!
Skullgirls Overall Rating: 3/5
Company: Autumn Games
Offers in-app Purchases